Art Fighting Hate
November 10, 2016
Update - January 28, 2017: Yes I'm still doing this, and these organizations need our help more than ever.
It's been two days since the 2016 presidential election, and many (most) of us are numb. We're already seeing growing reports of violence and threats against people of color, LGBTQ people, immigrants, non-Christians, and women in general (more in this feed, and more). This is a disturbingly large, escalating wave of hate emboldened by the election results. We know that after the new year, policy changes will swiftly follow that just add fuel to this fire.
We know it is wrong. We know it has to be stopped. What can we do now that the election is over? Mid-terms are in two years, but what can we as individuals actually do right now? I'm not sure what the best answer is, but I have one idea and maybe you can help me with it.
Organizations like the ACLU, Border Angels, The Council on American-Islamic Relations, The Center for Reproductive Rights, Planned Parenthood, and others are fighting that hate right now. They need our help and support more than ever, and the best way to do that is to keep them well-funded.
I am taking art commissions from anyone willing to donate at least $25 to one of the charities below.
Donate to a charity fighting hate and I'll reward you with art. That's it.
Here’s how it works:
- Make a donation to any of the 12 charities below.
- the receipt showing your completed donation and amount, along with your commission request. For example, send the ACLU $25 and ask me for a drawing of Green Lantern. Donate $100 to the National LGBTQ Task Force and ask me for a drawing of a ninja space-rhinoceros.
- I'll make your art and send it to you.
- Post it to your social media accounts with the hashtag #ArtFightingHate.
- Enjoy your art, keep fighting hate, tell everyone you know.
- Anti-Defamation League
- Border Angles
- The Center for Reproductive Rights
- CAIR - The Council on American-Islamic Relations
- National LGBTQ Task Force
- National Immigration Law Center
- Planned Parenthood
- Southern Poverty Law Center
- The Young Center for Immigrant Children's Rights
- Matthew Shepard Foundation
If you have suggestions for other groups to add to this list, please let me know.
Some Ground Rules
Lastly, since I’m just one guy without the ability to freeze time and I have to sleep at some point, there are some ground rules:
- Please try to keep your request reasonable and aligned with your donation amount. If you donate the minimum $25 and ask for a full-color drawing of every Golden-Age Marvel character together at a cocktail party, I’m going to have to scale your request back a bit. If you’re more generous with your donation, I can be more generous with my time.
- I work almost entirely digitally, so your art will be delivered as a high resolution, print-ready digital file (JPG). If you’d like something on paper from me instead, let me know and I’ll do my best to accommodate you. You’ll need to handle printing & shipping costs, but we can make it work.
Donate Your Own Art
Are you an artist? Photographer? Writer? I hope you'll join as well and take commissions for donations with #ArtFightingHate. Just link here or create your own page, share with the hashtag and spread the word.